buyupside.com is designed for the retail investor, who researches, designs and maintains his or her stock portfolio. The site describes investing techniques and technical tools that will help the committed retail investor make money in the stock market. buyupside.com is a free site. It includes dozens of stocks portfolios and many dividend calculators.
I, Richard A. Howard, write the content for buyupside.com. My wife designed the site.
I am a retired college professor and technical writer. I taught computer programming and statistics at Clark University in Worcester, MA and then worked for Digital Equipment Corporation as a software writer. I have degrees from Iowa State University (B.S.), University of California at Berkeley (M.S.) and University of Massachusetts at Amherst (PhD). My primary areas of study were wood technology and forest management.
I began stock investing in 1978 and was an active trader from 1993 through 1999, when I earned my living trading stocks. Now I manage my stock portfolio (mostly dividend-paying stocks) and trade stocks occasionally.
I do not recommend any stocks or sectors. The stocks included in the sample portfolios are representative of a sector or industry and are not recommendations.
Most of the price and dividend data used on the site are from Yahoo! Finance.
For more information about the site, see Bios of buyupside.com Contributors.
Mobile buyupside at m.buyupside.com includes popular calculators, portfolios and articles for your cell phone and tablet use.
What Other Sites Say About buyupside.com
- "Another convenient source of free dividend tools is buyupside (buyupside.com). The grass-roots site is packed with calculators, tables, and charts—all created by Richard Howard, a former professional trader. His articles and sample dividend portfolios cover most every kind of dividend investing. But portfolios based on the Dividend Aristocrats and Nasdaq Dividend Achievers Select Index headline the site." The Best Websites for Dividend-Stock Ideas from Barron's.
- "This was by and far the most useful DRIP calculator I found in my extensive search. Why do I like it? Well for starters, it has a nice simple form design and it’s very clear what information you need to enter. More importantly, it not only shows you the future value of an investment in a company with dividends, but also provides a side by side comparison of what happens if you do NOT reinvest your dividends. This was super handy for my purposes of explaining the benefits of a Dividend Reinvestment Plan (DRIP)!" Best Stock Dividend Reinvestment Calculator from WebChicklet.
- "The second online dividend growth calculator, found at Buy on the Upside, is also a dividend reinvestment calculator. It takes the following inputs: Initial number of shares, initial price per share, dividend yield, dividend growth rate, stock price growth rate, and number of years. The nice thing about this calculator is that it calculates the total resulting value, number of shares, dividends paid and annualized return for both the cases of with and without dividend reinvestment." Three useful dividend growth and reinvestment calculators from Dividend Stocks for Income.
- This is gold, thank you , a reference to Monthly Dividend-Paying Stocks from Dividend Growth Forum.
- Daily Stock Trade Signals links to index of all buyupside.com calculators.